The Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities (MOPD) and the Houston Fire Department (HFD) need your help in spreading the word about free, portable visual fire alarms for qualified individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing.
WHO may be eligible?
• Individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing and live in the City of Houston or Greater Houston Metropolitan area
• Require the use of visual fire alarm because of a substantial hearing loss may qualify for free visual fire alarms
Note: There are no income requirements
WHAT will qualified applicants receive?
• Qualified applicants will receive free, visual fire alarms that are portable (can be moved or used while traveling).
WHEN will qualified applicants receive the alarms?
• HFD will begin installing free visual fire alarms in the homes of qualified individuals on September 1, 2012
WHERE can citizens receive more information?
• Contact the Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities at
WHY should citizens call?
• To receive free, FEMA approved visual fire alarms
Persons interested in receiving free visual fire alarms must complete a very short application form. Two meetings will be held at the Metropolitan Multi-Service Center at 1475 W. Gray to assist citizens with completing the form.
Dates for the meeting are:
• Monday, September 10, 2012
2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
• Wednesday, September 19, 2012
9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
If you have additional questions or need more information, please do not hesitate to contact our office at the numbers / email shown above.
Thank you in advance for helping us spread the word.
Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities
1475 W. Gray
Houston, Texas 77019