Position Summary – Lone Star College System, the fourth largest community college district in Texas, serves the north Houston, Texas region with North Harris, Kingwood, Tomball and Montgomery colleges. We are currently seeking applications for faculty and staff who share our commitment to performing and supporting academic excellence, exceptional service and a dynamic climate for lifelong learning. Individuals with an interest and/or experience in quality service to students and the community, a collaborative work environment that will focus on cross training and shared assignments, interdisciplinary teaching, learning communities, accountability and effectiveness of student learning, and the effective use of technology are encouraged to consider joining the staff and faculty of Cy-Fair College.
80647 – Use the posting number to search, http://www.lonestar.edu/lsc-jobs.htm
Faculty, ASL/Interpreter Training
Lone Star College-CyFair & Fairbanks Center
Starting salary is commensurate with educational qualifications and experience. This is a contract level position and the incumbent can choose a 9 or 10.5 month work schedule.
Essential Job Functions
● Teaches courses in the Interpreter Training program primarily ASL courses.
● Establishes student internship sites within the community.
● Teaches courses at a variety of times.
● Serves on college and system committees as required.
● Serves as a community resource person and represent the college to outside groups when requested.
● Works collaboratively with other faculty, departments and divisions on schedule development, marketing events, faculty recruitment, hiring, classroom observation, student recruitment and retention efforts, budget development and special events.
● Submits required college reports and forms in a timely manner.
● Develops and utilizes a course syllabus for each course, following established institutional guidelines.
● Advises students in academic matters.
● Provides timely, quality access to students through posted office hours, electronic communication and other appropriate methods.
● Continuously improves instructional quality by reviewing and utilizing innovative methodologies, techniques, and delivery methods, including collaborative learning, learning communities, service learning, instructional technology, and online teaching.
● Responsible for other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications/Education Campus Specific
● A Master’s degree in Deaf Education, Deaf Studies, ASL, Special Education (with appropriate emphasis), Communications (with appropriate emphasis), Bicultural or Bilingual Education, or a Master’s degree with 18 graduate hours in the above disciplines.
Distance education certification or a commitment to obtain certification through LSCS (or equivalent) within 12 months of employment.
● Demonstrated interest and/or experience with interdisciplinary teaching, service learning, learning technologies, course development, and adult learning methodologies including collaborative learning, learning communities and distance learning.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
● Commitment to academic excellence, exceptional service, and providing a dynamic climate for lifelong learning.
● At least 1 to 3 years of relevant teaching experience in related field.
● Experience using innovative strategies and technology in the classroom.
● Earned doctorate in deaf education, deaf studies, American Sign Language, and/or related area.
● RID certification.
● ASLTA certification and/or TEC-ASL.
● Community college/higher education work experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants
● Required Applicant Documents
● Cover Letter
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled