The objective of this workshop is to uncover oppression in the workplace and then combat it by way of positive effective communication techniques that promote respect and empowerment among coworkers and employers. In addition, oppression in the workplace poisons morale and productivity. Though not always perceivable or understood, issues with oppression of the deaf employees exist within ourselves and our institutions. As Deaf employees and Deaf community members, it is up to us to eliminate the oppressive attitudes, behaviors and ignorance that sabotage an employee’s right to succeed and the right to learn.
Questions to ask yourself:
1. Do I struggle explaining myself and my communication needs?
2. Am I denied an interpreter during employee training and meetings?
3. Do my coworkers always tell me “Never mind”?
4. Am I denied equal opportunity to advance to a higher position in the company?
5. Do I want to learn more about my rights as a Deaf employee?
6. Am I interested in learning more about the updated technology and communication apps available?
If the answer is yes to any of these questions, then this workshop is just right for you. See you on November 30!
Location: 1445 No. Loop West, 3rd Floor Conference Room
Date: November 30, 2015
Time: 10:00 AM – 12:30 PM
Presenters: Amanda Tuite, Deafness Resoure Specialist
Sonia Khurana, Hearing Loss Resource Specialist