Ensures that the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services program complies with the requirements, rules and regulations of the agency and the funding source. Ensures that the program operates within contractual obligations and within constraints of the approved budget. Oversees and provides job placement services for all deaf and hard of hearing clients. effective case management services to clients including literacy training, job search skill training, advice on the utilization of the job bank resources, appropriate social service referrals, individualized job development activities, and follow-up to ensure that needs relating to securing employment are met. Develops and maintains a network of employer contacts and solicits job leads. Interprets for clients on job interviews.
Program: Deaf Services
Salary Range: Grade IV
Minimum of bachelor’s degree in the areas of social work, psychology, counseling, or business. Two years of college and related experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
A minimum of three years of increasingly responsible positions in the delivery and management of social service programs. Experience with deaf and hard of hearing individuals in the areas of job placement, social work, vocational rehabilitation, or counseling is preferred. Other areas of preferred experience includes teaching, training, job development or case management. Fluent in American Sign Language.
Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work as a highly cooperative member of a team to develop and accomplish department and agency goals.
- Ability to communicate well in writing. Excellent case documentation, report writing, and organizational skills.
- Ability to conduct workshops and interact with clients using American Sign Language.
- Knowledge of the Houston job market and current employment trends.
- Working knowledge of the Americans with Disabilities Act, and its impact on employees and job seekers.
- Able to interact effectively with a variety of persons including clients, employers, other social services, and co-workers.
- Must be informed about and sensitive to employment issues and concerns of the deaf and hard of hearing job seekers.
- Operation and availability of a motor vehicle.
- Plan, organize and direct all aspects of program services. Assure that the program operates in compliance with all aspects of contract with funding sources.
- Responsible for the preparation and submission of all required reports in an accurate and timely manner.
- Plan and implement new programs and services to meet client needs.
- Cooperate and collaborate with other CD&ES programs to ensure maximum utilization of all resources.
- Provide instruction in basic reading, writing and math skills. Provide instruction in other areas, such as social studies, and science.
- Develop individualized instructional plans to meet students’ academic needs. Review and evaluate students’ progress on an ongoing basis.
- Provide comprehensive case management services to ensure that clients are properly prepared to engage in a successful job search.
- Develop and implement employment plan for each client and to that end, set realistic goals, action steps, and time frames for their successful completion.
- Conduct job search skills workshops in ASL.
- Solicit job orders and match clients to appropriate job openings.
- Perform follow-up to determine & document clients’ employment status. Maintain contact with client & employer for 60 days to assist with & document job maintenance.
- Negotiate job offers with employers.
- Participate as a member of CD&ES functional team(s) to ensure coordination and consistency across the division.
- Represent CRR to companies and organizations in the community to serve as a networking tool for the development of the client base and for job lead contacts.
- Maintain accurate and thorough documentation of client contacts and services rendered.
SUPERVISOR: Manager, Deaf Services
Applicants will need to stop by 2525 San Jacinto, Houston, TX 77002 to fill out the application and leave it with the front desk.